Just in case you’ve been living under a rock with no connection to the human race the past week, I have a news flash for you…..
Donald J. Trump is the president-elect. It’s been almost a week, and I’m still having problems adjusting to this reality. Rather than look at what I think went wrong, let’s look at things we can do NOW to make it better
- Engage! Now, I’m not talking about the cool scene in Star Trek the Next Generation “We have engaged the Borg” but actually engaging the enemy. Don’t block someone because they voted for Trump, follow them. If we need to understand one thing about the election, it’s how a person won the presidential election with over 60% of his own voters saying that he wasn’t suited for the job. In my view, I probably blocked/unfriended people on facebook/twitter who I didn’t agree with way too much. I can’t understand why some people voted for Trump if I don’t actually understand how they think. Read some right wing websites, read the op-eds in the paper by conservative writers, etc
- Read! Normally, I read the morning paper in the following order: Sports, Entertainment, then the Front Page. Not anymore…Now it’s the Front part of the paper first. I’ve now subscribed to TIME magazine. I’m reading even more websites than I used to. AND NOW….I’m reading sites I never wanted to read. But I want to understand what the heck happened
- Volunteer! Here’s the link to the volunteer form for the Arizona Democratic Party. Don’t get involved just every four years, it’s important to do this year round.
- Run for Office! There are a large number of local races that need a liberal person to run for the office!! Do it
- Donate! Worried that Trump will abolish certain rights? Donate to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, and whoever else you can find.